Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Little Things

They say it's the little things that make living worthwhile. I don’t know who “they” is but whoever it is they’re right. I’ve found a few little things about living in La Paz that just makes life so much more enjoyable. So of course I thought I would share them with you all so you can share in this experience.

1.The roof. So our very first day in La Paz Brie and I went exploring the apartment building of course. On the very top floor we found a ladder up to the roof, but they door was locked. A few weeks ago I guess someone went up there and forgot to lock it again. Somehow Brie found out about it so we got to go up there! It was awesome. We went up there for about an hour and just spent time praying together and looking over the city. After we just talked and talked about the incredible experiences God has given us and thinking about all of the future ones. It’s sadly locked again, but I’m sure God’s gonna open it up for us again. 

2. Singing at church. Last Sunday after church we were talking to some of the campus students jamming out while our friend Victor Jugo played the guitar and Christian sang. Next thing I knew Christian pulled out his phone and had all these English songs on it! It was literally the most random selection, from Taoi Cruz to Nirvana. We spent the next thirty minutes rocking out and singing on the top of our lungs in the middle of the church building. I was impressed that they knew they words, I mean they had no idea what they were singing but at least they could pronounce all of the words.

3. Tex Mex. Oh my lanta where to begin. A few weeks ago Brie, Helen, Matt, and I went out to dinner. We just went down to Montenegro but had no idea where we were going to go. We were in search for a new place but with really good food. We found like three Mexican restaurants but they were all either closed or shut down. Right when we had given up home we turned the corner and I literally heard a choir of angels start singing. We ran into a restaurant literally called Tex Mex. Best discovery ever. We walk inside and it literally felt like we walked into Texas. There was country music playing throughout the restaurant and all the seats were wooden booths with a hole of the Texan star in the back of every seat. They had the cheesy signs that my grandma has all over her house with sayings like “Don’t Mess with Texas” and those ridiculous saying about drinking and having a good time. I loved it. Every second of it. And that’s before I saw the menu. They had tacos, ribs, pulled pork, taco salad, chips and guac, and everything imaginable. This restaurant has made me very happy in the past few weeks.

4. Burger King. Ahhh BK. There is a Burger King right around the corner from our church building. In America I was never really a Burger King fan; I’m a Chic-Fil-A addict. But when you’re living in a third world country you take what you can get. The other day Matt, Brie, and I went there for lunch. I wasn't sure what to get but I figured go big or go home right? So naturally I ordered a Big Mac with cheese, King Size, and a sprite. Best decision ever. I forgot how good an American burger was. And I'm pretty sure these weren't even as good as true American burgers. For now these will have to calm my constant Chic-Fil-A cravings. 

5. Bits 'n Creme. The Coldstone of South America. Bits 'n Creme is God's gift to gringos. It is literally the best ice cream place ever. I go at least two times a week. There are three right by us which makes it dangerous. My selection always costs 18 Bolivianos, about $2.50, but it's so worth it. I get two scopes of cookies and creme ice cream with crushed oreos and strawberries. I top it off with chocolate sauce and a little cone thing they put on top. Oh my goodness it's amazing. It's so thick and so rich and ugh. Amazing. 

6. Movies. One of the best things about living in Bolivia is that movies are so cheap. The other day I went out with my mom and we stopped by a little tienda to look at movies cause they are everywhere. Looking turned into buying twenty movies for less than a dollar each. Such a good investment. I found some of my favorite movies: Easy A, Water for Elephants, Tangled, The Social Network, Slumdog Millionaire, Bridesmaids, and so many other good ones. So worth the 5 Bolivanos. 

7. Sunday night pancakes. Every Sunday night we have family devo from 5-7. During this time we just talk about our plans for the week, prayer requests, and then have a short devo. After is like family night. Brie usually makes chocolate chip pancakes and Brie, Matt, and I spend the night playing cards, watching a move, or planning a Irish party. The latter was all Matt and Brie. I opted out of this one. But it's just such a fun night spending time together dancing, singing, and eating of course. Definitely a highlight of the week. 

Well here are some of my favorite little things about La Paz. They will definitely be missed back in America. 


ps. twenty nine days until Morgan comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment